I'm grateful and touched that you are considering replacing my failing kidneys with one of your own.
But before any screening or testing can begin, my team at the Cedars-Sinai Transplant Center wants to be sure you know the basics about who is eligible to be a kidney donor, and what's involved in transplant surgery. And they want the kidney recipient, namely me, to be your first point of contact.
I've put a lot of that basic information right here on this web page. Please read it carefully then let's schedule a call to discuss your questions or concerns before referring you to the team at Cedars.
Sound like a plan?
Thank you again.
• Be In good physical and mental health
• Be between the ages of 18 and 70.
• Be well-informed about the benefits and risks of kidney transplants.
• Be able to take off at least 2-3 weeks from work or school after surgery.
• Have access to a post-surgical caregiver (a friend, family member or employee.)
• Receive payment or financial incentives for donating.
• Have a history of uncontrolled high blood pressure, heart disease, kidney disease, diabetes or cancer. *
• Have a complex or untreated psychiatric condition.
• Be actively abusing drugs or alcohol.
• Be very overweight (Body Mass Index greater than 35.)
* (There are additional exclusions as well as exceptions which we can discuss.)
• Kidney donors don't need to be an "exact match." There are ways to make different blood types compatible. There are also "Kidney Paired Donation" programs that arrange to trade one living donor kidney for a more compatible organ.
• All transplant-related medical expenses will are paid by the recipient's insurance. Other funds may be available to cover travel or lodging expenses on a case by case basis.,
Well, now you know the basics. Think you still want to be my kidney donor? If so, great! Let's schedule a phone call to answer your questions and discuss next steps.Remember, even if you agree, you have the right to change your mind for any reason at any time.
CLICK THE RED BUTTON BELOW to schedule a phone call to answer your questions and discuss your concerns. Please remember that I'm on West Coast time and suggest more than one convenient time for a phone call.
Afterward, if you feel ready to proceed, I'll put you in touch with the Cedars-Sinai transplant program to arrange for an interview and testing, I look forward to speaking soon.